What are Appe Midis?
Appe Midi is the king of tender mangoes used for pickling. Usually found in the forests in and around the Malnad, Western Ghats of the Karnataka. The mangoes are small in size, pulpy and fibrous. They have great aroma and taste and have a good shelf life. All these make them an excellent choice for making pickles.
Types of Appe Midis.
There are various type of raw mangoes like
- Ananthana (Anantha’s) Appe Midi, named after Anantha Bhat, a cultivator who popularized it,
- Karpura (Camphor) Appe as it tastes like Camphor
- Menthe Appe, due to its minty flavor.
- Bheemanakone Kenchappe (Reddish in nature)
- Malanji, Haladota, Bheemanakone, Malanji Appe based on the names of the places where they are grown
What is Jeerige Appe Midi?
Jeerige Appe Midi is small variety of tender mango that has a unique taste. The raw mango tastes like Jeera / Jeerige / Cumin Seeds. Coupled with a spicy masala it forms an excellent pickle. Use it with curd rice, plain rice, chapati.
Did you know?
Subraya Bhat a farmer from Coastal Karnataka is striving to protect these varieties of mangoes in his farm. He has been working for more than 25 years to collect seeds form various places. Read more about Subraya Bhat here.